How do you know if you may be over-training? Here are some signs:
1. You are sluggish and listless during the day. Drinking 10 cups of coffee will only make you feel more tired.
2. You have trouble keeping your body under control during exercises. If you have trouble doing balance exercises or one-legged exercises, this may be a bad sign.
3. Do you need longer rest periods between sets? Thirty to sixty seconds should be enough rest between sets. And, for circuit training, there is little or no rest between sets. If you need 2-3 minutes rest between sets, that's not a good sign. And, your workouts would take forever to finish!
4. If you are exhausted before your workouts on most days, that's a sign you may be over-training (especially if you're sleeping enough).
5. Are you are stressed out after your workout? Exercise should be one of the best stress-busters you have available to you.
How do you know if you're starving yourself just to lose weight as fast as you can?
1. Quick weight loss programs often leave you hungry between meals because you're not eating near enough food. After about a week, your body will begin to think you are starving and start storing fat as a survival mechanism.
2. Are you trying to lose 30 pounds in 20 days? Bingo! You're starving yourself. Weight lost that quickly (without regular strength training) will be mainly water weight and lost muscle mass instead of fat mass (this will slow down your metabolism).
If you're focused on losing pounds as fast as possible instead of burning body fat burned and losing inches, you're on the path to yo-yo weight loss and regain.
3. And then there's severe calorie restriction dieting which leads to consistent low energy and slowed metabolism. Eating 1,000 calories a day is severe calorie restriction.
4. If you are a chronic starvation dieter, you can look forward to a damaged metabolism, a weak immune system, hormonal imbalances, sleep deprivation, loss of lean mass and increased body fat.
5. If you're at a point where you hate to eat, see a doctor. Something seriously wrong is happening with you. This is where illnesses such as bulimia and anorexia can set in.
I was talking to a friend last week who is trying to lose weight too fast. He is basically working out 2-3 hours a day. He had early success which is normal.
But now, he is always exhausted, over-training, under-eating and in a weight loss rut. This combination, if continued, is a recipe for fatigue, injuries, illness and little or no results. So his question was: "What's going wrong here?"
Instead of telling you my answers to him, I will let you see for yourself in the FREE PROGRAM below:
Do you want to:
- Eat Better to be Healthier, Burn More Fat and Lose Permanent Weight?
- Have Your BEST Looking Body Naked or in Smaller-Sized Clothes?
- Feel Better than You have Felt in Months or Years?
- Have the Energy to Accomplish Your Daily Goals?
Be sure and register for my FREE 5-Day Fitness and Nutrition Jumpstart!
I will coach you to transform your body and its definitely not just about weight loss. You will learn what it takes to change your lifestyle and start remaking your body a healthy, energized and lean fat-burning machine!
Mark Dilworth, BA, PES