Here are 7 exercises you should be doing to build muscle, speed up your metabolism and burn more calories/fat during the day and at rest:
1. Core Exercises for Stabilization, Strength and Power. See this post. Planks, ropes and medicine ball exercises are two examples.
2. Squats (2 legs and single leg) - Include some form of squat exercise in every strength workout.
There is probably no other exercise that has a greater impact on your body's muscle-building, metabolism and energy expenditure (deadlift is also a great exercise).
This means your legs (especially quadriceps, hamstrings and glutes), abdominals and lower back are targeted. Even your arms and shoulders will feel the effects of the exercise. Research also shows that the abdominal muscles are engaged more when doing squats than they are doing many of the more popular ab exercises.
3. Deadlift - Like the squat exercise, the deadlift is one of the best full body exercises available for building muscle and helping you burn fat.
4. Medicine Ball Throws and Chops - These exercises are great for full speed, full body power exercises.
5. Multi-planar Lunges and Step Ups - These 1 legged exercises are must-do for your overall program.
6. Squat Jumps, vertical jumps hops, box jumps, jump rope and long Jumps - These exercises will torch body fat, especially if done at full speed.
7. Ladder Drills, Cone Drills, Speed Drills. Change-of-direction mixed with speed means MAJOR FAT LOSS for you!
Train hard and smart with the program below:
Be sure and download your Free Dumbbell and Medicine Ball Metabolic Fat Burner Workouts and start shaping your body faster!
Mark Dilworth, BA, PES