Besides the obvious of---weight training helps you look better by shaping and toning your body, here are 10 benefits you might not have thought of (weight training includes bodyweight, dumbbell, barbell, resistance band, kettlebell and medicine ball exercises):
1. Weight training helps you burn more calories and fat during and after your workout and even while you sleep (because of increased metabolic rate).
2. Your metabolism naturally declines with age starting at about age 30. Use weight training to keep your metabolism humming even as you age.
3. Do you need more energy during the day? Weight training will help you stay strong and energized.
4. Reduce your risk of osteoporosis with regular weight training. Just running or biking is not enough.
5. Live a fuller, happier life with a strong body and positive self esteem.
6. Finish your strenuous yard work and other hard tasks without getting injured (because you are physically weak).
7. Keep your posture upright and strong throughout your life with regular strength training.
8. Allow your heart to work more efficiently with regular weight training because of a reduced resting heart rate and blood pressure.
9. Decrease the risk of diseases, like diabetes and high cholesterol, with regular strength training.
10. Weight training helps lower the risk of broken bones by older adults because of improved balance and coordination.
Start your regular strength training as soon as possible (2-3 days a week, 30-40 minutes per session).
The following tips will show you how to shape and tone your body all day---not just during your workout. Take advantage of all the time you have available to you during the day to burn more fat and sculpt your body. I will assume you know that you MUST follow your fat burning meal plan to be successful with any fitness program.
a. Posture – Sitting, Standing, Walking and Running - Brace your torso all the time (like you’re preparing to take a punch in the gut). This is great core work all day, every day.
b. Running and Jump Training – Running and jump exercises activate the bulkier, shapely fast-twitch muscle fibers. Sprints are great and so are plyometric exercises (squat jumps are an example) when you are physically ready for them.
c. Jump Rope Exercises – Jump rope is a very underrated exercise that is good for fat burning, total body sculpting, hand-eye coordination and balance. You can jump rope every day (two feet, one foot, shuffle, slalom, alternating feet, etc.). Speed jump roping is even better.
d. Medicine Ball Exercises – Play with your medicine balls as much as possible. Medicine ball exercises are athletic in nature and shape your body in all 3 planes of motion. Do as many of these exercises in a standing position to burn more fat and better sculpt your body. These exercises are good for warm-up and workouts.
e. Bodyweight Exercises – Squats, Lunges, Pull-ups, Chin-ups, Triceps Dips on Bars, Pushups, Planks, Bridges, Cobras, Mountain Climbers, etc. really burn fat and naturally sculpt your body. Bodyweight exercises force you to balance and stabilize your body with no help from machines. And you can do them at home while watching television.
Get started today!
Be sure and download your Free Bodyweight 500 Metabolic Fat Burner Workouts and start shaping your body faster! There are 3 levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced. Start at your level.
Mark Dilworth, BA, PES
Your Fitness University
My Fitness Hut
Her Fitness Hut
Sports Fitness Hut
Thursday, May 8, 2014
Top 10 Weight Training Benefits
Labels: barbell exercises, Bodyweight Exercise, Dumbbell workouts, fat burning workouts, jump training, Kettlebell exercises, Plyometrics, Weight Training
I have been a fat loss expert and fitness author since 2006 and am the owner of Her Fitness Hut, My Fitness Hut, Sports Fitness Hut and Your Fitness University. I have helped thousands transform their bodies to lean with lasting weight loss.
My 7-Day Fat Loss Hacks Coaching Course will get you off to a great start to reach your body-changing goals!
I encourage clients and readers to make lifestyle changes that lead to better long-term health, which includes acceptable body fat and your ideal body weight. I do not recommend fad diets, quick weight loss gimmicks, starvation diets, weight loss pills, fat burner supplements and the like.